14 August 2014

A Decade

I remember when I was a senior in high school and looking forward to my future. "Where will I be in 10 years?" Do you remember asking yourself that question? Do you remember your answers? In all honesty, I don't. Well, not all of them. Some of them I'm sure were "traveling the world" or "starring on Broadway" or something else very ambitious. But I do remember one of my answers. It was an answer I didn't really voice often and didn't really dwell on, but it was one of the some-wheres I wanted to be in 10 years: married with a family.

I actually did achieve that goal. I was married to a really awesome guy 5 years after high school and we had our first child 10 years after high school. No world traveling and no Broadway, but those were never truly my goals anyway, not in my heart of hearts at least.

It's now been %!@^# years after high school ;) and I have another "Where will I be in 10 years?" moment to recount.

10 years ago I was blessed with something incredible, something truly amazing, and well beyond the senior year scope of ambitions. I was blessed with my second child.

Mia was 3 weeks early, and a firecracker almost from the start. She loved to take naps to The Messiah. She was the fastest crawler in the west. She learned how to climb up and slide down her Little Tikes slide before she could walk. She got hurt doing the same ridiculous things over and over to the point that I wondered if she'd ever learn. She looked like Massive Head Wound Harry for a bit thanks to her energy and a wooden trash bin with sharp corners. She learned how to ride her bike because she wanted to keep up with her big sister. In short (or should that be, in long?), she was my wild thing.

Today Mia turned 10. I don't think I ever thought, "Where will I be in 10 years?" in regards to Mia, but I've been reflecting on where we are now. That carefree, impulsive, happy-go-lucky little being I welcomed into my life 10 years ago has developed into a loving, affectionate, considerate, thoughtful, generous, and kind individual. She will share anything and everything with anyone, right down to her last stick of gum. She loves babies and itches to give them a little squeeze when she sees one. She wants to makes others' burdens light by offering to help. She is a genuine and open person who is loved by all who meet her. She is a bright light in an oftentimes world of darkness. I didn't realize 10 years ago, even though I loved her from well before the first moment I laid eyes on her, what a jackpot I had hit!

I love all of my children. Absolutely and completely. They are each exceptional and amazing and perfect. But today is my day to think about Mia and just how exceedingly fantastic she has become in a decade. Where will I be in 10 years in regards to Mia? I can't even begin to fathom, because with a person as fabulous as she is, nothing I can imagine will ever live up to the reality I know she will set.

I love you, my Mia girl! Happy 10th birthday, sweetie!

Mia with some of her favorite "sweet" birthday gifts.

No comments:

 

Design By:
SkinCorner