30 May 2008

New York, Part Eight--The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

So I thought I was going to post Letterman next, but I decided I needed to do this one first.
Of course, no trip to NYC is complete without visiting Liberty Island. We went down to Battery Park early enough to be on the first ferry to the island. Which is good, because the lines got really long after we boarded. The ferry ride was really pleasant, and we could see so much of Manhattan from the water. Here is Lady Liberty from the ferry.



.
And we had to get the proof that we were actually there by getting our picture taken with the Statue in the background.

.

.

The walk up the stairs was a killer for me. I must be becoming a wimp. But the walk down was much easier as you can see from the smile.


.

.

I loved the view of Manhattan behind the Statue.


.

.

And here is Ellis Island. What a landmark! The museum is really something, too. I really am impressed with the immigrants who came through here. What stalwarts!

Be sure to visit these islands when you get to NYC. It's well worth getting up early for.

*Part Nine--Letterman and Rupert Jee

1 comment:

Kim said...

We lived on the New Jersey side when we lived there. I remember thinking the statue looked smaller. It was hard to see it and not be proud. I am glad you got to go!

 

Design By:
SkinCorner