11 July 2008

The Host


Okay, so I finally finished The Host. I liked it, but I'm not sure I liked it as well as the Twilight novels. I think that since I didn't have a lot of time to devote to uninterrupted reading I got off on the wrong foot. I wasn't as taken in right away. And it took me much longer to read than usual because of how busy I've been. But towards the end I took more time to read it uninterrupted, and I ended up liking it much better than I did at first.

The whole "alien" concept was kind of strange at first, but I knew it was this kind of science fiction premise before I started reading. But the whole "alien" idea was really more of a side story than anything. This was truly a human story that dealt with truly human emotions. I really liked the main character(s), Wanderer/Melanie. Wanderer more than Melanie, though. Funny that I'd like the alien better. Anyway, the author made the point that humankind can be volatile and selfish and unkind, but that this way of life, with all of the pain and anger and devastation, is still better than an altruistic life devoid of the balancing powers of pleasure and joy and triumph. There must be opposition in all things, in other words.

This book is billed as Stephenie Meyer's first "adult novel", and people have been complaining that it's not adult enough. I don't know why "adult" has to mean gratuitous themes and scenes. It should just mean it's about adults. I loved that she didn't cave and include gratuitous immorality. Way to go, Mormon girl!

I wondered at the beginning why I didn't like Jared, the main love interest, as much as I thought I should, but I don't think I was supposed to like him as much as I originally thought I should. And I wondered why I liked Ian more than I thought I should. That was by design, too. I felt the whole time like I was seeing through Wanderer's eyes, learning as she learned. That is the masterful work of an author.

Anyway, if you get the chance, this is a really good book. The message is great, and the way the characters mature and grow during the novel is tremendous. Let me know if you've read it and, if so, how you liked it.

My rating: 4-1/2 stars out of 5.

4 comments:

ryanandmindy said...

yay! i'm glad you read it and posted your opinion! i'm really going to have to read it now..i've only heard good things!

Fowler family said...

I've been hearing so much good stuff about this author. My sister out in Utah was listening to one of her books on tape and was hooked.

I'm gonna have to give her a try.

Wendy said...

Helllooooooo!!!!! Amy & Chris where did you go? I was so sad to hear over the pulpit that you weren't coming back--SO SAD. All the better reason for you to keep this blog updated! I need to know where you ended up, what you're doing, and most importantly that we won't let 10 more years go by before we catch up again! Wishing you the best, Wendy

ryanandmindy said...

so i finally read it and LOVED it! thank you for the recommendation!

 

Design By:
SkinCorner